Fernando Alonso says he does not know whether he will be able to race in this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix.
The McLaren driver was ruled out of the last race in Bahrain because of a broken rib sustained in his terrifying accident at the season-opening race in Australia.
The two-time champion said: “Until I get the all-clear from the doctors to race we cannot assume anything.
“But I’m continuing to prepare for the race weekend as normal.”
The Spaniard, who has been in China since Monday, will be examined by doctors of governing body the FIA on his arrival at the Shanghai track on Thursday.
Alonso has been unable to do his normal full training programme in the two-week gap between Bahrain and China as a result of his injury.
Last week, the 34-year-old posted images of himself on social media returning to training and wrote: “Gradually increasing the training session. Mainly indoor bicycle and elastics. (The ones you are allowed with a broken rib …)! Happy with how things are going.”
Alonso spent the weekend at a luxury resort in Tuscany before flying to the Far East.
If he cannot race in Shanghai, he will again be replaced by McLaren’s reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne.
The 24-year-old Belgian impressed in Bahrain by out-qualifying team-mate Jenson Button on his grand prix debut and scoring a point for 10th place.